Thursday, April 2, 2009

Post 2.

Within my family what gives someone status is education. I'm only the second person in my family to go to college. My older cousin went and graduated with her bachelor's. When she said she didn't want to go to college at first, my family went ballistic. I'm the second oldest grandchild and the "smart one" in my family so I had no other choice but to attend college. I started at Hunter and did really badly because I wasn't sure what I wanted to study. My family was so upset and disappointed. It isn't only just college, it's about studying something relevant. Which to them would be like becoming a teacher, docotor, or something aong those lines. If I said I wanted to be an artist they would think I was wasting my time.
I do understand and see where my family is coming from. They want me to be a strong and respected figure in society. They don't want me to struggle. I think education is important and can help someone gain status. I just don't think you should pressure someone to a certain school or career.

2 comments:

  1. i feel the same way. going to college isnt much in my fam. unless you graduate. my older cousin graduated as an RN n now the pressure is on me to do the same. the pressue not old with school but with my fam has takes its tol, but i wish u all the best of luck in watever u choose to persue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good luck. just follow what your heart tells you to do.

    ReplyDelete